Tuesday, January 14, 2014

My Time with the Lovely Sarah Scott in the UK

Due to the fact that I was screwed over by the airlines - 5 days with Sarah turned into two days and an hour.

The first day I got there it was late and we had to run errands to make up for my lost luggage, so we didn't have time to pole. We went to the house and I met her hunny Adam Barr and her doggies. I went to sleep to wake up early the next day.
When I woke up Sarah was starting to cook breakfast - sweet potato pancakes. So amazing. 
We got the keys to her friend Amy's (UKPPC winner 2012) pole studio, Studio 22. 
This studio is AMAZING. It has 3 floors for awesomeness. One floor is for dancing, another floor is for aerial work like Lyra and fabrics, and the last one is for pole and it had two separate rooms. 

The first day of pole I was jet lagged and didn't sleep much, but we managed to do six hours of pole in that one day.
We worked on some advance tricks and dead lifting techniques.

We took a break in the middle to get food and go shopping.
We went back for more pole, and later we went to the gym with Adam.
A guy who worked there started talking to Sarah about handstands and within minutes all of us were doing handstand walks and handstands against the wall with only one arm.
We then went home to eat and sleep and I was supposed to catch up on my sleep but I ended up staying awake until 1:00am on FaceBook and had an alarm set for 7:00 the next day.

The next day I woke up and holy F was I sore and exhausted. My back, arms, thighs, calves, and especially my obliques were so sore. 
Laughing and moving was a challenge.
I was so tired and sore that we didn't get another 6 hours of all new stuff in at the studio, but we managed to get six more hours of review, practice, and some new tricks in. 

At the end both of us were doing our own thing, and it was my favorite time of the whole trip. Hanging out and poling with Sarah Scott as friends and polers was an amazing moment :) 

We went home to eat and we were up until late again just hanging out in her kitchen with Adam.

The last day we only had an hour to pole before we had to drive two hours to the airport. By this day I was stupid tired and still ridiculously sore. We did some review and muscle memory and hanging out at the studio before we had to leave. 

My trip overall was incredible. 
I met my idol and trained with her privately. 
She taught me tricks and strength moves I knew I needed to learn from her myself. 
She taught me healthy things to cook and ways to plan out meals. 
She told me things about herself, about pole, and about competitions I would only be able to learn by spending this time with her. 

We had a handful of things in common as well. She called us "twinsies" when the similarities got past 5. :P
-We both danced to a Glitch Mob song for our first performance
-We both have the same style of pole and liked the same tricks
- Our pole playlist was incredibly similar
- We were both in the same place in our splits
- We both had the same thoughts on flexibility
- We both have long dark hair ;)

She will always be my favorite poler, and my ultimate fitness and pole inspiration.
I can't wait to learn from her again.




I have always had a confidence around my poling, but after that trip I feel changed.
Now more than ever I feel not like I "can" do moves and tricks and performances, but rather, I WILL do them.
I feel strong and advanced and ready to dominate any trick (at least the ones that don't require extreme flexibility until I gain that as well ;) )
I'm super happy I had this experience. It's by far one of my favorites if not THE.

<3

No comments:

Post a Comment